Take a puppy into your home and heart
Our puppies need people living in the Adelaide area to give them a loving home for a minimum of a year.
We need Puppy Raisers who:
- live in the Adelaide metropolitan area (or near vicinity from Victor Harbor to Gawler, Mount Barker and Murray Bridge)
- are able to attend regular one on one and group trainings sessions
- work part-time or less (preferred). However if you work full time or are a tertiary student and have flexible arrangements that could accommodate Puppy Raising including employer/learning institution permission to take the puppy to work or study or family support we would be pleased to discuss. Training sessions with the puppies and home visits are held during business hours and puppies can not be left alone for more than four hours at a time.
- have a secure yard – with fencing a minimum height of 1.5 m
- have a driver’s licence and a car
- have time to spend training and socialising the puppy - children in the family should be of school age or older as people with younger children find it difficult to find adequate time to walk and socialise the puppy
- are prepared for the puppy to live and sleep inside the house.
Do you have what it takes?
Our special Guide Dog puppies are placed with their Puppy Raising families at about eight to 10 weeks of age and can spend up to 14-16 months in the care of their new family.
Puppy Raisers are responsible for introducing their puppy to a number of different environments and situations, including:
- buses and trains
- shopping centres
- other public places.
Our staff members provide training and support for Puppy Raisers. All food and medical expenses are met by Guide Dogs.
Saying goodbye to a puppy – hello to a future
When the puppies have completed all the requirements of socialisation, they leave their Puppy Raiser's home and return to us to be placed with a Home Boarding family to start the next stage of their journey – entering assessment and training to become a guide or Autism Assistance Dog.
It's difficult saying goodbye to the puppy, but it's a wonderful feeling to know that you have contributed to the training of a Guide Dog that will one day make a positive difference to somebody’s life and there's always the opportunity to continue Puppy Raising.
I want to be a Puppy Raiser
If you would like to become a Puppy Raiser or would like more information please contact our HR team via email@example.com or phone 08 8115 6050.