My NDIS - Northern Territory
Guide Dogs NT and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
When can I access the NDIS in the Northern Territory?
The NDIS is being rolled out at different times across Australia.
- In the Northern Territory, the scheme has been available for people under the age of 65 in the Barkly region since July 2014.
- Between July 2016 and July 2018, the scheme will be progressively rolled out to regions across the NT.
You can find out more about the roll-out across Northern Territory here.
NDIS Participant Information Pack for NT Residents
The NDIS Information Pack provides a comprehensive overview of the NDIS for participants in the Northern Territory.
How can Guide Dogs NT help me?
Guide Dogs NT is a registered NDIS provider, and our experienced staff are here to help you navigate the NDIS. Our range of services aim to enhance the quality of life of children and adults with vision loss.
We can help you in the following ways:
- Understanding how the NDIS may help you
- Preparing for your NDIS planning meeting
- Identifying goals and needs which the NDIS may assist with, including determining how your vision loss impacts your daily life
- Supporting you through the planning and review process to ensure you make the most of your entitlements and understand your NDIS plan
- Providing ongoing support through your NDIS plan, including assessment and intervention services.
What sorts of NDIS services can Guide Dogs NT provide?
Our experienced staff are registered to provide a range of services to children and adults with individual sensory needs through the NDIS. Examples include:
- Guide Dog Services
- Orientation and Mobility Services
- Occupational Therapy Services
- Sale and prescription of assistive aids and equipment
We understand that everyone’s NDIS plan is different, and Guide Dogs NT is experienced in working with clients with vision and/or hearing loss to ensure our services assist you to meet your NDIS goals. Examples of the ways we can support you through your NDIS plan include:
- Building your independence in the home and community (e.g. developing skills to support activities such as cooking, shopping, using public transport).
- Increasing your participation in social and community activities.
- Providing links with other services to help you maintain your independence.
- Training in the use of a mobility aid such as a cane, electronic device or a Guide Dog.
- Supporting you to achieve your life goals, such as living independently.
- Prescription and training in aids and equipment for the home and community, including workplace modifications if you are currently employed or seeking work.
Guide Dogs NT can support you during the NDIS planning process, giving you confidence that your plan will help you meet your individual goals. If you wish, you can nominate Guide Dogs NT as your preferred service provider for your services on your NDIS plan. You may wish to speak with your planner to request Guide Dogs NT undertake a Specialised Assessment to ensure your identified needs are included in your NDIS plan.
Guide Dogs NT is here to support you. The best time to get in contact with us is before you meet with your NDIS planner, but our experienced staff can provide assistance with the NDIS process regardless of whether you’re preparing for your NDIS planning meeting, already have your plan, or are transitioning over from an existing disability program.
To find out how Guide Dogs NT can support you through the NDIS, please contact:
Phone: 1800 757 738
SMS: 0457 521 521
For more information about how Guide Dogs NT can provide NDIS services in the Northern Territory, please access our Information Sheet: