My Aged Care
For most people, growing older can mean there are times when you may realise you need help, or you may be caring for a friend or family member who needs help to maintain their independence.
The Australian Government subsidises many different types of aged care services to help older Australians maintain their independence.
Specialised Vision Services for Older Australians
Guide Dogs SA/NT is a registered My Aged Care provider of Specialised Vision Services for people who are blind or vision impaired. Our services are delivered through the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP).
At Guide Dogs, we care about your independence and support your desire to live a full, vibrant and active life. Our highly qualified and experienced Vision Services team can work with you in managing the challenges that low vision or blindness can bring, both at home and in the community. We can provide you with skills and technology solutions to maintain or increase your independence.
Our Vision Services team includes:
- Occupational Therapists (OT) are experienced in finding the best everyday living strategies and solutions for clients who are blind or vision impaired. This may include home safety assessments and recommendations for specialised adaptive technology.
- Orientation & Mobility Instructors (OMI) provide training and strategies for confident and independent travel, meaning you can go where you want, when you want.
Our CHSP funded Specialised Vision Service offers:
- A specialist, vision-focused functional assessment of your needs, related to your goals, conducted by an OT or OMI
- A summary of your specialist assessment
- Development of an individualised personal program for OT or O&M training
Are you eligible?
Access our Vision Services with a CHSP referral if you are:
- Registered with My Aged Care
- Eligible for CHSP services through a Regional Assessment Service assessment
- 65 years and over, or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Blind or vision impaired (diagnosed eye condition which is not correctable by prescription lenses) with a functional impact on daily living and independent travel
- Ready to increase your independence in the home and community
Guide Dogs SA/NT CHSP Specialised Vision Services are supported by the Australian Government Department of Health. Provision of CHSP funded services is subject to availability within Aged Care Planning Region allocations.
CHSP requires a client contribution for service to ensure that those clients who can afford to contribute to the cost of their care do so, while protecting those in need of additional support. Learn more at www.myagedcare.gov.au
Mobile Hearing Service
We provide a mobile hearing service for people with a My Aged Care plan who are aged over 65, or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
We can design individual programs for adults with hearing loss to suit your lifestyle and goals, including:
- individual, tailored services based on your individual needs
- training to learn communication tactics, assertive behaviours, speech reading and tips on managing hearing loss
- information and training on a wide range of listening aids and equipment
We can provide one-on-one hearing advisory sessions to discuss individual needs and the options available. Sessions can also be tailored to people with complex communication needs, including people living with dual sensory impairment.
For more information on our Mobile Hearing Service for eligible people with a My Aged Care plan, contact Your Support Line on 1800 757 738 or request a referral through your provider.