Life skills for greater independence
We’re celebrating World Sight Day with some very special highlights from our 2019 Life Skills Camp, proving that vision impairment is no barrier to achieving your goals!
Our annual Life Skills Camp helps young people living with vision impairment to work towards their personal goals for improved independence, confidence and wellbeing, while learning the value of leadership and teamwork.
Last week, nine teenagers from South Australia and the Northern Territory participated in a five-day Life Skills Camp at Warradale Urban Camp School.
Our Vision Services team worked with students to identify their goals and practice independent living skills, like orientation and mobility training and daily living activities through occupational therapy. Best of all, it was a lot of fun!
- Getting active with Blind Sports and taking on some challenging obstacle courses and climbing walls at AFLMax
- Experiencing transport options for the future in a driverless shuttle bus
- Visiting Adelaide Central Market to practice navigating in busy and unfamiliar environment
- Practising road crossing and public transport training for greater freedom of mobility
- Independently planning, shopping and preparing delicious meals like tacos and spaghetti bolognese
- Getting creative with a hand-built pottery class led by Tania from Studio Tatty K
- Preparing for future careers by shopping for appropriate work attire and practising interview techniques
- Taking a calming Tai Chi class led by Aaron Chia, Chief Executive Officer of Guide Dogs SA/NT
- Experiencing a Guide Dog walk with puppy-in-training Eden – and enjoying plenty of pats in her downtime!
- Building confidence, meeting new friends and making memories to last a lifetime.
We are delighted that this annual event creates such a positive impact for so many young people and continues to help them achieve their goals.
For more information on how our specialist vision services can open the world for your child, visit www.guidedogs.org.au/children-services
We hope you enjoy these highlights of our 2019 Life Skills Camp! Click here for our full Facebook album.